Exposition Art Blog: European abstract paintings Romul Nuțiu

European abstract paintings Romul Nuțiu

Romul Nuțiu (July 28, 1932 – April 5, 2012) was one of the most constant artists dedicated to Abstraction from the Romanian art scene.
His career evolved from the early sixties, when he was a young artist, eager to experience new ways of relating to painting and continued fluently until his death in 2012. Even though there are variations of style and appraisal, his painting had always been vivid, colourful and tenacious.
'The artistic biography of Romul Nuțiu lays under the sign of a happy exception', said art historian Ruxandra Demetrescu. 'In the 7th decade of the last century he was one of the first Romanian artists that had professed the Abstract Expressionism and/or European Informal. He remained faithful to abstraction in general and then he converted painting into object. The innovative character corresponds naturally in his case with that of an avantgardist (even in the literal sense of the word).' 'In the 70s, in Timisoara, a few artists acknowledge and try to change the moral hazard of political strategies. For Nuțiu, the personal input is abstract. The relationship history/present, the studio poetics, the new approach of the artistic medium, image as material are syntagms for what painting and object painting represent. In order to understand the concept in regard to the 70s slang, one must admit the decisive personal approach of painting
The relation to Abstract Expressionism and Art Informel is best described by the artist: 'In 1957, when I graduated, my belief was strictly connected to the idea that the perception of things is rather important for the creation act, but being limited, one has to appeal to the subconscious through experiment, challenge and transcendence. My informal was born from hard work and devotion. At that moment, I knew few things about contemporary art, and what I learned in school was just some academic knowledge that was only partially useful. Later on, when I started to travel, I came in contact with the European informal. In the big museums I found out that my way was somehow synchronized, having a polarity to what I was seeing. Abstract expressionism and the European informal made me understand that I have to keep my own authenticity and sensitivity.Wikipedia















No comments: